Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Experience

Sunday October 11, 2009
My wife and I went to Square One in Mississauga to shop for new glasses. Since I've bought my past 4 sets of glasses from Hakim Optical we decided that should be the first store we visit in our search. We entered the store around 2pm and took a look at some of the frames that were near the front of the store.

Nothing was of interest so we made our way to the glass cabinet where the designer frames are kept. A store representative by the name of Grace helped us pick out several frames from the cabinets and placed them on the main desk for me to try on. I must have gone through about 10-12 frames before we decided on two frames that most suited my face. Grace was helpful in giving honest opinions on what suited my face and we had a pleasant experience dealing with her.

During our conversation with her, we pointed out that I haven't gotten an eye test done recently so before I can make any purchase I'll have to get the exam done first. She gave no indication that this would be an issue. The conversation turned to price of the glasses; keep in mind that no price tags were on the frames to begin with (I'll get back to this later). In order to get an accurate price for the glasses she needed my prescription; so I asked if she could look up my last purchase from Hakim (which was about 2.5 years back).

She had difficultly looking up the file, so she asked her fellow colleague Johan to assist her in pulling up the information. Johan was helping several other customers at the time, so Grace went to help them while he came to pull the data on the computer.

While he was searching for the information my wife and I asked him a series of questions about the frames that I was interesting in purchasing. I tried them on again while he gave me some feedback on them. Eventually he was able to pull the data up; he was able to pull up my past prescription and proceeded to give me a price for each set. One set would have been about $650 and the other $550; if I bought both he was willing to sell them to me for $1000.

The prices were fair considering I paid about the same for my current frames that I own. However this is where things get very disturbed. The entire experience up to this point was very pleasant and upbeat. I asked Johan for his card and if he could write down the model numbers of the frames for me. At this point it became very clear that I had broken a Taboo in the glasses industry; Johan's attitude completely changed 100%. He stared at me for several seconds before answering "No I absolutely cannot and will not ever do that for you, the model numbers are secure company information and I cannot leak that information outside of my store". I was surprised by this, as I know for a fact that stores will give model numbers so that when a customer returns to make the purchase everything can move along; instead of having to search through the THOUSANDS of frames in a store for that one specific set that had been decided upon.

I told Johan that its no problem then if he can't give me the model numbers, instead how about I give you my card; and he can write the model numbers down and just keep the card. When I come back in two days he will then have the model numbers of the frames of what I liked. This is also where things get more interesting; he YELLED at me stating that he cannot write down any model numbers; it is against store policy. He yelling at me was the final act of ignorance that I was willing to accept. I snapped back at him then how would you like to proceed. I want to give you a thousand dollars to buy these glasses from you. How do I do this? What do I have to do to make sure that when I come back here on Tuesday you will know EXACTLY which frames I wanted to buy. He proceeded to yell back that if they are sold them I'm out of luck and will have to settle for something else.

For those reading this and have ever had to buy prescription glasses; I'm sure you can obviously relate to how stupid this must sound.

I proceeded to inform Johan that if its money that he wants then I've got NO problem paying for the whole thing and just letting him keep both my money and the frames. When I come back I can just give him the prescription and he can get them developed. I also reminded him that he can view on my profile that I have bought 4 frames from Hakim optical in the past 4-5 years. I'm a returning customer and have NEVER had any issues with the company.

Johan seemed to have a psychological lapse because he started repeating the words "Its best that we just leave it at this". He started repeating it over and over and over again….? I stood there looking at him and asked him what do you mean "leave it at this". He looked at me blankly and repeated the sentence….. Then I questioned him what does "this" mean? Cause the last offer I made was to give him $1000 cash and buy the frames, so are you accepting the offer? He suddenly had a confused look on his face and after literally what felt like 10 years passing he started to speak…."No, its best that we just leave it at this…." HUGE WTF moment…..

I snapped back at him, so basically you're saying that you won't accept my fucking money. You're such a big man that can refuse to offer a product to a customer for what reason? He turned around to pick up a phone; stating he's calling security to throw me out of the mall. I said go ahead, I'm sure they'll love to hear how you are throwing out a guy who simply wants to give you money for a product… What is your excuse for wanting to throw me out? What is the reasoning….

As he was on the phone I snapped if you want to call security then by all means go right ahead; I'm going to call the cops on you. Let see them settle this whole mess. I have the Mississauga Police in my cell phone so I did proceed to call them while he was literally one foot away from me calling mall cops.

I got through to the Mississauga Police and proceeded to explain my situation to them briefly; I was transferred to an officer who listened to everything I had to say. She told me that unfortunately it sounded like I was being profiled. She told me that the only course of action that I have is to call the Human Rights Commission and Better Business Bureau to voice my complaints.

Getting no where there I thanked her for the advice and informed my wife of what she said. By now Johan had disappeared; he wasn't in the front of the store any longer. We left the store and proceeded to walk back into the mall. My wife was trying to get me to calm down as I was just fuming. For those who know how mad I can get you know it can be difficult for me to calm down. Lol

Anyways as we were about 250 feet away from the store we saw a couple of security guards approaching. I knew they were called so I stopped them myself and let them know they're probably going to be looking for me. The guards were very nice and professional; they let me vent the entire story to them; they listed to what my wife had to say AND they listened to an older lady who had apparently witnessed the event.

One of the guards left us to go into the store to talk to the sales rep who had called them. While he was gone the guard who stayed with us told us about how shocked he is that we were treated this way; the way the economy is going stores and business need customers to survive. But obviously Hakim Optical is doing just fine; they can get away with treating their customers like garbage.

When the other agent returned from the store he told us that basically we are completely free to do what we have to do in the mall. He told us that basically the only restriction I have on me is that I can NEVER again enter the Hakim Optical store in the mall…. Both my wife and I agreed that obviously with how we were treated by the sales guy we wouldn't be looking to ever enter that store again. I asked what was the reason Johan gave, security guard basically said he didn't give one; just that its his store, he's the owner/manager and he can refuse to give service…. This is where I got a nice little shock, so the guy I dealt with is the store manager… quiet an impressive sales technique he has to deal with customers.

16 comments:

  1. I tried to send a letter to Hakim Optical corporate office, however I was unable to do so due to that information not being available online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hakeem Optical Labs Inc
    128 Hazelton Ave 3rd Floor
    Toronto ON
    M5R 2E5

    phone 416 924 8866
    fax 416 924 7678

    or complain to the college of opticians
    www.coptont.org/complaints/process.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an insane experience!!!

    Last spring Matt and I went to a Hakim in our area and the salesman was more than happy to write down the model numbers of two pairs of glasses we were interested in buying. We never purchased it them but it's complete BS that it against their policy to provide the customer with the model number!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not like it was your first time there, as you said there were 4 other occasions where you purchased from Hakim. I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't want to take the money and keep the glasses until you picked them up. Even if you forgot to pick them up he has your money. Go to Lenscrafters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you contact Better business bureau or complaint department on Hakim optical?

    I had an even worse experience (after I purchased the lenses)... the police (who got involved) suggested I contact the above because this is not in their scope of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... so... he snapped when you asked for the model number. What, he thought you were going to go buy that model elsewhere, so his logic was to lose his mind, yell at you, and refuse service?

    Welcome to 2011! That's the risk you have to take to provide semi-decent customer service!

    I worked in a campus bookstore where 12 people would come in, buy one book, photocopy the hell out of it, then try to bring it back. I can't REFUSE to sell them the book from the get-go, even if I KNOW what they're going to do with it... that's life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I called the store today, the guy you interacted with wasn't in until 1 pm. He's a well paid sales thug, but here's the thing. Malls don't like stores that use sales tactics that involve security as tactics. A bigger guy will take out the lease, if you did an under cover he'd probably play a similar game again. Are they still near the Sears?

    There's two big lens companies out there, Zeise and Nikon-Essilor Co., Ltd. It's a marketing game, there's lots of options that allow you to learn more and make a more informed decision on the lenses that are right for you. Educate yourself, then you won't make a snap decision on the frames. You'll buy the best fit and protect your eyes from UV while resisting high pressure tactics that are illegal under Ontario's consumer protection laws.

    CBC's Market Place or Go Public? Educate yourself to the salesman next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic blog you got here,I enjoyed reading some of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am surprised to see similar story in this blog posted by Mastereh on October 2009.
    Ours is the most recent and very similar.

    Only if I had come across your review, earlier.
    My wife ordered lenses for a frame we had. Since her power is very high, we had asked for thinner lenses with higher refractive index. Also we had shown the old lenses which was thin.

    On visiting your store on December 15, 2015 around 7:30PM, we were taken aback by the thickness of the lenses.
    This is where our ordeal begins…..
    Firstly, the lady attending to us, gave my wife the glasses with finger-prints.
    Secondly, my wife said, “These lenses are very thick and it is not we had ordered”. The lady at the reception had nothing in response and seemed as clueless as we were.
    She said, I quote, “Jahan, she says the lens are very thick”.
    Jahan shrugs his shoulder, waves his hand in the air, nods his head in displeasure, and says, I quote, “You have to talk to the person who you placed the order with”. This response was not very satisfying. So I insisted, and went on asking for an explanation, and he was being very indifferent and behaved in a way, ‘I don’t care’
    I was very upset. We placed the glasses on the counter, and said, “We’ll take it later”.
    Before I could leave, I said, “I find it hard to believe that a person, working in an organization has no clue or idea, what the other person or a colleague did, and went on to say this is not the right response or customer service”.
    Jahan, couldn’t care less. It would have been all OK, if he had just stopped with it, for at this point, I was surely upset , but then I had turned my back away from the counter and was leaving the store. Half way out, he commented and stated, I quote, “You should see a doctor”.
    This clearly went overboard. He started commenting and being judgmental about my character. And all this for me expressing my displeasure about the product received and the service provided by him.
    I was not going to take it quite, so yes, I turned back , raised my voice, asked him, “ What do you mean, see a doctor”. Then things turned very ugly, and he had no answers and was the least apologetic and behaved the same way as he did from the beginning.

    At this point, I was sure to raise this as concern and voice it out in any forum possible. So I said, “Give me your name”. And the response as expected, I quote, “ Why should I give you my name, I won’t give you my name”. He said, I quote, “You should go for Anger Management”

    I went back to the counter, and said I heard the lady call you Jahan and wrote it down in a piece of paper and then took out my phone to take a picture of him.

    As if by now things weren’t bad enough, Jahan stepped out from the back of the counter, and put his face in mine, and stood very close. When I say close, it is 2 centimeters from my nose. This is no exaggeration, that was the actual distance. And he said, I quote, “Leave the store, leave the store……” He continued to talk rudely and invaded my private space and threatened me with possible consequences.
    If once, was not enough, he did it one more time, this time dangerously close.
    All this for telling him, there is a better way to handle a situation.

    I am surprised, to find that he holds a management role, as per his Linkedin profile. If this is management, I wonder…….I’ll reserve my comment at this point.
    Jahan Khoshsohbat has been the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all probability Johan and Jahan are the same people. History sure repeats, and how many customers are out there, with a similar experience.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like perhaps Johan/Jahan has a disability or mental health problem.

      Delete
  10. This is actually good to read content of this blog. A is very general and huge knowledgeable platform has been known by this blog. I in reality appreciate this blog to have such kind of educational knowledge.ic! belin แว่น

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.
    lindberg แว่น

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is the OPTIX premium service that truly sets us apart; we are passionate about eyecare, highly qualified, experienced, independent and dedicated to ensuring our customers get the best possible care and attention. From the moment you walk into our store, we will consider you first and foremost, do everything we can to ensure you get eyewear suitable for your prescription, stylish, comfortable, something that compliments and enhances your image. We listen to what you want and offer choices you may never have seen. In short, perfect eyewear!



    https://optixopticians.com/services/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Opticians london of experiencing our advanced eye care technology including the Cobra HD+ Multifix, where our optometrists Huda or Tahira will take wide-view images of the retina, creating the start of a map of your eyes for comparison over the years you’ll be with us. Before taking you through to choose your frames, you will enjoy a full explanation of what the image of your retina shows, along with personalised recommendations on how to better take care of your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank Your For Sharing Such a Amazing Post so then just visit here Best Place To Buy Glasses Mississauga

    ReplyDelete